|New Travel Guide > Travel Journal|
Winter Vacations - Top 10 Winter Getaways
Summer is typically the season that everyone thinks of when planning their vacations. But why not dare to be different and take a winter vacation getaway instead? If you are a skier, snowboarder, or just someone who enjoys the winter months, a winter vacation may be just what you have been looking for. There are plenty of spots around the world that make spectacular winter getaways.
1. Hershey. If you are traveling before or during the Christmas season, consider Hershey, Pennsylvania as your vacation destination. The home of Hershey's candy, Hershey Park becomes home to Christmas Candyland, where over one million Christmas lights are put on display. Christmas Candyland typically runs for a month prior to Christmas.
2. Sweden. Located in the small riverside village of Jukkasjarvi, Sweden, Sweden's Ice Hotel is famous worldwide for great winter vacations. The hotel is created each winter out of 10,000 tons of ice from the nearby river and 30,000 tons of snow. The hotel features the famous Absolut Ice Bar, a winter favorite for the 21+ crowd.
3. Yellowstone. During the winter the Yellowstone National Park, a popular summer destination in the United States, offers Lodging and Learning programs where guests of all ages can stay at Yellowstone and participate in educational lessons during the winter. These programs offer a great way for visitors of all ages to learn about the beautiful and fascinating Yellowstone Park.
4. Wisconsin Dells. This small Wisconsin town offers a great winter vacation at the Great Wolf Lodge, home of huge indoor water parks. Great Wolf Lodge is a popular destination for families. Visitors of Wisconsin Dells get the best of both worlds with summertime perpetually recreated indoors and snow falling outdoors. Wisconsin Dells is located near both Milwaukee and Madison, Wisconsin.
5. New England. One of the most historical areas in the United States, New England is where the country was founded. In addition to the number of historical sites throughout the six states that make up the region (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont), you will also find plenty to do in the winter months. Maine offers one of the nicest ski resorts in the country in Sugarloaf USA, or you can try the beautiful White Mountain area of New Hampshire where you will find a plethora of ski resorts and the historical Mount Washington, the highest peak in the Northeastern United States.
6. Orlando. If skiing is not really your thing and you are looking to get away from the snow for a few weeks then travel to Florida, one of the most frequented states in the US by vacationers each year. Walt Disney World offers discounted rates during specific periods of the winter months, considered the theme park's off-season. Not only will the parks and restaurants be less crowded than during summer or a school vacation week, but you will be able to enjoy the beautiful Florida weather during your stay.
7. Caribbean. Why not take a cruise during the winter months? Like Florida, a Caribbean cruise offers a change of pace from the snowy, cold winter months that you may be used to. Winter is typically a perfect time for a cruise because the weather in the Caribbean has calmed down. Summer is hurricane season, spelling trouble for cruises but winter is perfect for calm seas and a relaxing cruise.
8. Mont Tremblant. Located in the spectacular Laurentian Mountains of the Canadian province of Quebec, Mont Tremblant offers its visitors over 600 acres of land for skiing and snowboarding. Perhaps the best choice if you are looking to take to the slopes, keep in mind that the US dollar is worth more in Canada and can go further than it would on a vacation in the United States.
9. Alaska. If you are traveling with children, Alaska may be the perfect vacation choice for you. Offering everything from dog sledding, one of Alaska's most popular sports, to viewing the Northern lights, Alaska is one of the best winter vacation destinations. Although it is notorious for its cold, wintry weather, Alaska also holds a number of entertainment options that are likely to keep the whole family busy.
10. Lake Tahoe. For decades Lake Tahoe has been one of the top winter vacation destinations in the world. Located on the border of Nevada and California just west of Carson City, Nevada, you will find that Lake Tahoe has plenty of activities for everyone in the family. Lake Tahoe averages 360 inches of snow each year, making for a winter wonderland of fun on your winter vacation. There are a number of high quality resorts around picturesque Lake Tahoe and the Rocky Mountains make a fabulous backdrop for the perfect getaway.